Thursday, September 29, 2011

Corn Chowder

One of my very favorite fall recipes is corn chowder. I love this soup. My daughter loves this soup. My son loves this soup. My husband loves this soup. And, I am sure my dog would love this soup if we would let her have it. Oops..she did love it. She had a little bit left over from my son’s bowl.

Have you noticed that many recipes I make have bacon in them? This is no exception. No wonder we all love it!

I found this recipe in a cookbook by the Barefoot Contessa. Give it a try. It is awesome!


Cheddar Corn Chowder

8 ounces bacon, chopped
¼ cup olive oil
6 cups chopped yellow onions
4 tbs. unsalted butter
½ cup all purpose flour
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
½ tsp ground turmeric
12 cups chicken stock
6 cups medium diced white potatoes
10 cups corn kernels, fresh or 3 pounds frozen corn
2 cups half and half
½ pound grated white cheddar cheese

In a large stockpot, fry bacon until crisp. (I use my kitchen shears and cut the bacon while it is raw. This makes for less work later.)


Remove the bacon and set aside.




Reduce heat and add onions and butter to the bacon grease and cook for 10 minutes until the onions are translucent.

Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and turmeric and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and the potatoes, bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender.

See all the little bits? This chowder has amazing flavor!

If using fresh corn, cut the kernels off the cobs and blanch the kernels for 3 minutes in boiling salt water. Drain. (If using frozen corn, omit this step.) Add the corn to the soup, then add the half and half and the cheddar cheese. Cook for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.



Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with reserved bacon and shredded cheddar cheese.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I might give this recipe a try! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete