Sunday, March 11, 2012

Zuppa Toscana

Zuppa Toscana

I love Olive Garden’s soup, Zuppa Toscana. I especially love the kale. My husband loves the sausage and my son loves the potatoes. My daughter loves all of it and is bugging me so I will make more.

Here is the recipe I use. It’s delish. It is perfect for a cold spring day. It is the soup of hoarders. Jeanna, I promise I won’t tell your dad you ate his lunch for breakfast. That would not be nice!

Ok…here is the soup that turns grown women into…soup whores! (I call myself a scrapbook paper whore…so, it’s all good!)

Start off with some good Italian sausage. Don’t skimp. You won’t get the full flavor of the soup if you do.


Next, you will want some red skinned potatoes, chicken stock, onions, kale, garlic, and heavy whipping cream. You’ll notice I use a good portion of sausage…and potatoes…and kale…cause we all make sure our bowls are full of our favorite ingredients.


Chop a large onion. Add to a Dutch oven with a bit of olive oil. Sauté until onions start to become translucent.


Add minced garlic and sauté for a couple more minutes.

(sorry for the blur...the garlic was not cooperating!)

Add sausage (I actually used 3 pounds. My husband loves me so much!). Cook sausage until it is no longer pink.



Add 2 large cans of chicken stock.


Peel and cube 3 pounds of red potatoes. Add to pot and cook until potatoes are tender. (sorry...I forgot to take a pic of the potatoes. I'm glad you already know what they look like!)

Rinse kale and tear leaves from stalks. Add to soup. Stir. Add cream and let simmer for 10 minutes.


Serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese in large bowls. A good chunk of bread on the side is nice too! Enjoy!


Recipe:

3 lbs Italian sausage
3 lbs red potatoes
2 49oz cans chicken broth
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 large bunches of kale
2 garlic cloves
1 large onion
Olive oil
Grated parmesan cheese

Chop large onion. In dutch oven heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion. Sauté until tender. Add minced garlic. Sauté for two more minutes. Add sausage. Cook until meat is no longer pink. Add chicken stock. Peel and chop potatoes. Add to soup and cook on medium high for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add whipping cream and kale. Heat through and serve with grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment