Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dessert First!

This past week we, meaning my husband and son and I, indulged in a relaxing, rejuvenating five days in sunny Florida.

It was long over due.

On Thursday, I spent the day with my dear friend, Deb. She was in Bradenton visiting her in-laws for spring break and we just happened (well, maybe it was planned that way!) to be in Florida at the very same time!

I picked her up in time to visit a café on the beach in Bradenton called the Gulf Drive Café. We sat outside and enjoyed a delicious lunch. The thing is you never know whom you might meet! Enjoying the same lunch as me was this gal from Chicago.

(Of course when her other half learned I was from Wisconsin and an avid Packer fan, she closed her eyes…not wanting the world to see she was with a Bear’s fan!)

All kidding aside, we both indulged in this house salad that was topped with Grouper. I had the house dressing: creamy dill. I only had two complaints. One, I asked for no olives and I ended up picking them off my salad and for a pretty happening place, I would think greens would be a better fit than iceberg lettuce. Just my opinion.


Wouldn’t you know after I gobbled up my salad I passed this lady who was eating her salad topped with scallops. I was so jealous!


After spending the afternoon frolicking in the ocean at the number one beach in the United States, Siesta Key, we headed to St. Armand Circle and ate dessert first. Yep, we had gelato at Le Macaron-French Pastries before supper. Why? Because we could! I had a Double Chocolate and Dulce de Leche mixed. Deb had the chocolate. It was quite yummy.


But, what had me jumping at the bit to try my hand at baking was the macarons. I had never seen such a delightful little cookie.


There were so many different flavors, such as Gingerbread, Belgium Chocolate, Pistachio, Crème Brule, Black Vanilla from Madagascar and Black Currant (which happened to be the one I sampled).


I have already researched the recipe and will post my results…if they turn out that is!

After dessert we were really hungry so we stopped at La Malinche and sampled “fine” Mexican cuisine. It was…okay. First, we never were given chips and salsa. At first I thought they must not be complimentary, unlike most Mexican restaurants. Then, after reading some reviews, I see they are supposed to be. I am not sure if this was on purpose seeing as we ordered water to drink rather than their $8.75-14.75 dollar margaritas. Our meals were tasty. A bit pricy, but tasty. Deb ordered Tostadas Con Ceviche de Camaron…aka shrimp cocktail on crunchy corn tortillas…which she said was delicious.


I had the fish tacos. The fish tacos were pretty good. I really liked the flavor of the rice. It was distinct. I haven’t figured it out yet, but when I do, you’ll be the first to know.


We had an awesome day of playing and eating. It was relaxing! I have decided I am going to eat dessert first more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment