Monday, March 19, 2012

Orlando, Day One!

This is a just for fun week. We spent Sunday traveling. It was a long day in the van with mediocre air conditioning. I’m glad it wasn’t too hot! Sunny and 83.

I am finding service in the southern regions to be less than stellar. After a couple of hours on the road, we stopped for some gas and a bite to eat. We ended up leaving Subway because the ovens were not on and we were waiting for some time to have our breakfast sandwiches toasted. When my husband inquired about how long the ovens would take, he received “I don’t know” as an answer. We ended up at McDonalds. Yeah, I know, not quite a healthy choice but it was a quick and easy choice.


All day all I wanted was a milk shake. No can do. No matter where I stopped, the milk shake machine was broke, or they were out…etc. etc. Ugh!

We ate a late lunch of an Arby’s roast beef on the road. It was light and good. I like Arbys!

Here is a funny. My husband pulled into get gas and gave the attendant the wrong pump number when he pre-paid. He couldn’t get the pump to work and was having a hard time figuring it out when it dawned on him what he had done. We had to hurry and pull the van around to the right pump before someone hopped in and stole our gas.

We were on the Ronald Reagan turnpike when my son says: “Mom, Look! A taxi! I’ve never seen one before. This is my first one.”


I cracked up. Of course it doesn’t surprise me that he would be excited about seeing something so mundane. We have lived a pretty simple life. I can only remember riding in a taxicab once myself. He is going to be surprised today as well…he’ll be riding in a bus for the first time in the shuttle to Disney.

We arrived at our hotel a little after 7pm Eastern Time. It’s definitely not the Ritz, but hey, we’re on a tight budget and this was cheap…I mean really cheap. We decided to go for a swim. The hot tub should have been called the warm tub.


The pool however was very big and warm like bathwater. We chatted with a guy from New York who was sitting by the pool watching his son swim. It is interesting and somewhat sad watching what people do to their children. Let’s just say we used this child’s behavior to show Jeremiah what not to do.

After swimming we ordered pizza from Papa Johns. Jeremiah has wanted to try their pizza. He didn’t like it and ate only one piece. I ordered two pizzas. Darn. My guys love pizza! I’m having cold pizza for breakfast! We have lots of leftovers so maybe I’ll have it for a late supper too! We had to stack the pizza 3 deep and fold the box in half to fit it in the little fridge. Double darn.


The part I loved the most about today? Being with my family. Knowing we are in God’s will and at the center of his favor. Yes, we are on a budget, but we are also fulfilling a dream of Jeremiah’s by going to Disney. It makes my heart sing knowing we are making him happy. I love my family.

It’s 7:30am. We’ll be leaving for Disney soon. I need to clean out my purse and make plenty of room for my camera and extra batteries. I’ll share more later. Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Don't you just hate it when the shake machines aren't working??? Bummer!! The last few times I had a McDonald's milkshake, I was highly disappointed. The shake was too sweet. As far as fast-food milkshakes go in the MD/DC/VA area, my favorites are Chick-Fil-A - they've got an AWESOME chocolate shake and vanilla shake! yummy!
    Also, I like Wendy's vanilla frosty. It's kinda thick, and it may be hard to drink through the straw initially, but, they give you a spoon. Those things are so good!

    I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip! Too bad you had too much pizza left over! Have a blessed Sunday tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete